But wait! There's more!

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
I have always had a soft spot in my heart for this poem by Robert Frost :) After taking an English Literature class, I was able to appreciate it even more!! But now, looking back on the path that my life has taken, I am able to Understand even better just how important it is to use the wonderful gift of Agency that our Father in Heaven has blessed us with.

Missionary work is hard. Like, really hard! I'm sure you all have gotten the picture from previous emails, but just to hit it home again, I'll illustrate it for you again. I wake up every morning, and honestly have to mentally prepare myself for endless hours of rejection and people literally ignorning me/laughing at me just because I have a nametag over my heart with the name of the Lord Jesus Christ on it. But no matter how many times people say ''Nej, tak,'' I am still constantly happy and bubbly and ready to go talk to the next person/knock on the next door - and I know that it is all because I am doing what the Lord would have me do with my life at this moment.
Agency (I love it in Danish- Handlefrihed - directly translated as Action-Free-ness) , or the ability to choose for one's self, is a fantastic gift. We all have it, and we are all able to allow others to have it. Agency what allows us to be here on this earth! Before my mission, I really had no clear idea about how/why it was so important. But now I know, without a doubt, that it really is one of the most fantastic gifts in the world!! I am blessed to witness the immense change that individuals go through as they make the choice to actively follow and serve the Lord.

There will always be things in life that are hard. For me, I came to realize that all the struggles I was going through before my mission all led me to learning how to make a major decision for myself. I was receiving no 100% Yes or No answer about either option of the choice that I had to make - to either stay home and continue with my normal life or go on a mission and leave everything behind for a year and a half. It all came down to a personal desire to serve the Lord the best that I could at this moment in my life. ''Good, Better, Best.''

It's just like the poem by Robert Frost, ''The Road Not Taken.'' The point of the poem isn't that the individual took the road less popular - the point of the poem is that he made a decision, and followed through, enjoying every bit of the road he took - and that made all the difference.
Sometimes, it's extrememly difficult to make a difference between two things that will surely continue to aid in the progress of the Lord's kingdom, personally and as a whole. I was struggling quite a lot, and really did feel as if the Lord had abandoned me in those few months as I had that single, ginormous question that I could not find peace from. But looking back, I can see all the small things that have lead me to where I am now; and I am constantly finding tender mercies that help me to always cherish and treasure every bit of the road I have taken.

I know that my Redeemer lives, and loves me to the end!! Yesterday, I had the special opportunity of really learning for myself (again) that I am supposed to be here in Denmark at this moment of time.

I love you all, and I look forward from hearing from you next week :) You're all so stellar!!! <3

-Søster Soelberg

No comments:

Post a Comment