But wait! There's more!

Monday, May 11, 2015

Dear Roskilde: I'm Not Dead Yet!!

Week one in Roskilde is complete!! And the pretty little city has failed in each attempt to get rid of me!! HA! Take that Denmark!
But it's actually going really well, in all honesty :) We just had an incredibly Fun/NotVeryFunInTheMoment moment!! Just imagine me  d y i n g  biking uphill e v e r y w h e r e  and then being super duper happy when we came to the top of a ginormous hill. Got that in your head? Great! Now (I'm going to make this just as dramatic as it really was)-  just picture me going over the top of the hill, wind in my face, I'm enjoying the beautiful scenery all aound, skirt secured for the descent, bike slowly turning up to gear 7 to get some good umph going downhill, and then 

-BAM-

absolutely no tension on my pedals. And- these deligtful bikes we have don't have rear breaks on the handlebars, and- the bike I happen to have doesn't have front breaks in opperation. I look away from the pretty scenery and all of a sudden, nothing's really enjoyable anymore! Surprising, right?? The hill continued down for a long time, so I got some pretty good speed. 
To make the experience even better, there was a stoplight in the middle of the hill, and it just turned red for my lane, and cars were already beginning to pass through the intersection. As I passed Sister Noorda (my companion of ONE day at this point), and then I go through the intersection. Luckily, I missed all the cars coming towards me, continued down the rest of the hill, found a field with a few sheep in it, cruised to a stop, hopped off the bike, and proceded to put the chain back on. Luckily, I didn't have any more problems with it the rest of the week, and yesterday, the elders helped me take a few links off of the chain, because it was actually too long! So!! That was exciting :)

Other than my (honestly) near death experience, I've had a really stellar week :) hahaha, the people here in Roskilde are great (actually, they're FANTASTIC!!), and I feel so privilaged to get to work with them :) I'm excited to continue working hard with Sister Noorda (what a doll), and have even more exciting stories to talk about :)

Mothers day was wonderful!! It was so nice to be able to talk to my family <3 But it was so weird switching back to Danish after it all wrapped up! But worry not! It's all there again! It really is an amazing thing to learn a new language! You don't realy realize the progress you make until you look back to special little points when you hit a milestone :) There's still so much more to learn, though, and I'm looking forward to it!

I just thought I'd share a quick scripture with you all - I read it this morning during personal study. 
Alma 29:8-10

8 For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

 9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

 10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

I absolutely love being a missionary, and I am so thankful for this opportunity to be here to serve the people of Denmark! It has been an icredibly amazing experience to be here and meet so many fantastic people! I will always treasure this time I have here and now. I thank God for the beautiful message of the Restoration that I share with His children here around me :)

I love you all!!! and I hope you all have a fantastic week <3

-Sister Soelberg


The sunset over the Fjord right after having a thunderstorm!! :)



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment